Polka dot fancies
Such a pretty delight! Perfect for a child's birthday party or just for friends!
What you need:
- 225g (8oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 175g (6oz) dark brown sugar
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 5ml (1 tsp) Dr. Oetker Vanilla Extract
- 125g (4 1/2oz) plain flour
- 50g (2oz) cocoa powder
- 10ml (2 tsp) Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
- 150g (5oz) Dr. Oetker White Chocolate Chips
- 100g (3 1/2oz) icing sugar plus extra for dusting
- 1.25ml (1/2 tsp) natural essence of rose water
- 350g (12oz) Dr. Oetker Chocolate Regal-Ice Ready to Roll Icing
- 300g (10oz) Dr. Oetker White Regal-Ice Ready to Roll Icing
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C fan, 375°F, Gas 5). Grease and line 19cm (7inch) square tin. Cream 175g (6oz) butter and sugar together. Gradually beat in eggs and vanilla extract.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, Dr. Oetker Baking Powder and add chocolate chips. Mix together and spoon into tin. Bake for about 35 minutes until firm, and then cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- To decorate, put 50g (2oz) butter in a bowl and beat until soft. Sieve in icing sugar, beat well and stir in rose water to make a spreadable icing.
- Trim outside edges from cake and cut into 9 portions. Spread each side and top with buttercream.
- Set aside 25g (1oz) of Dr. Oetker Chocolate Regal-Ice Icing, divide remainder into 5 portions. Working with one piece at a time, knead the Regal-Ice icing until soft and pliable.
- Thinly roll out each portion of Regal-Ice into a strip approx. 5cm (2inch) by 25cm (10inch) long. Neaten edges and reserve the trimmings.
- Slice off a square from the strip to drape over the top of the cake and press in place.
- Carefully press remaining strip around the cake sides. Seal where ends meet.
- Pinch top and sides together and smooth edges to make seamless join. Rub Regal-Ice gently for a smooth finish. Cover the remaining cakes in the same way.
- Follow same method for white icing covered cakes, reserving 40g (1 1/2oz).
- Before surface dries, make 'polka dots' using the trimmings. Roll tiny balls of Regal-Ice until smooth and gently press on covered cakes until flush, rub to smooth.
- Use reserved Regal-Ice to make small 'buttons'. Roll into small balls and press on work surface, shape into a neat disk with a smooth ridge around the edge. Make 2 holes in the centre using a cocktail stick. Allow to dry before sitting on top of each cake.
This page can be found at:
A short link can also be used:
Dr. Oetker is a family owned business that has been creating high quality foods for over 100 years. They truly believe that Quality Is The Best Recipe and you can see this ethos across their branded portfolio of baking products, chilled yogurts and desserts and their frozen portfolio.
More from Dr. Oetker
Delicious eclairs - decorate them with the kids for a fun activity with a sweet treat at the end!
The ultimate colourful bite-size dessert - great for kids' parties or baking with the children!
Delicious cakes on a stick - these make a refreshing change to a bunch of flowers or a great centrepiece for a party.
Popular in cake recipes
This recipe just makes my mouth water! Smooth, sweet buttercream with tempting, moist chocolate cake. Don't try and resist!
Classic lemon drizzle cake with a twist! The elderflower cordial adds an extra sweet flavour to this delicious cake. Try it and see!
For a surprising treat, the tomato ketchup cake is sure to tantalise your tastebuds!