Cottage pie with tasty vegetable topping
A healthy twist to a favourite family dish
- Preparation: 15 mins
- Cooking: 30 mins
- Serves: 4
What you need:
- 500g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 medium parsnip, sliced
- 250g swede, cut into chunks
- 400g extra lean minced beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 OXO beef stock cube
- 2 tablespoons cornflour, blended with 2 tablespoons water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
What you do:
- Cook the potatoes, carrot, parsnip and swede in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan and add the minced beef, a handful at a time, cooking it over a high heat until seared and browned. This is important to give a good flavour.
- Stir in the onion, carrot, mushrooms and mixed herbs. Add 400ml (14 fl oz) water and bring up to the boil. Crumble in the OXO cube, then simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the grill and warm a large baking dish under it for 1-2 minutes. Meanwhile, drain and mash the potatoes, carrot, parsnip and swede, seasoning with a little salt and pepper.
- Stir the blended cornflour and add to the mince mixture, stirring until thickened. Season if needed, then tip into the baking dish. Spoon the mash on top, spreading it out to cover the mince. Grill until browned, then serve.
Handy cook's tip:
Make the mash with equal quantities of potato and butternut squash, for a change
This page can be found at:
A short link can also be used:
OXO is the UK’s best loved stock brand with an illustrious history spanning over 150 years. Bought by Premier Foods in 2006, it originated in the 1840s as a concentrated extract of meat. In 1900 the product was renamed OXO
in Britain and in 1910 the eponymous OXO Cube was born. It has since become a staple in UK kitchen cupboards with over 600million cubes sold each year. Although the cube remains at the heart of the brand it now produces additional products to make OXO relevant to even more home cooks, such as New Reduced Salt Stock Granules and Concentrated Liquid Stock.
More from OXO
A perfect one-pot dish that can just be left to cook in the oven, making it a convenient mid-week meal
A warming soup to heat up your cockles all year round!
Popular in cottage pie recipes
Yorkshire pudding filled with winter warming cottage pie
Adding carrots to the mash adds a tasty and colourful twist to this family favourite – and helps to make it slightly lower in calories. Great news if you want to lose a few pounds!